How Self Storage Can Help You Declutter Your Home
One of many reasons to rent a storage unit is that self storage can help you declutter your home. Even though decluttering is a daunting task everyone seems to postpone for as long as possible, there are still ways to simplify it. In this article, we'll reveal how to easily declutter your home and how self storage can help you with that.
How to declutter your home?
Over time, we all tend to accumulate things until the point where we're left without any storage space or live surrounded by mess. That's not only bad for the look of your home, but it can also negatively influence your well-being. That's the main reason why it's very important to declutter regularly and keep your home neat.
Make decluttering easier
We understand that decluttering may feel like a huge undertaking, so below, you can find tips to help you make this dreadful task easier:
- Make an inventory. The best way to start decluttering is by taking inventory of all your possessions. That way, it will be much easier for you to decide what to keep, donate, or store. To make everything even more manageable, create categories and sort the list of your items accordingly.
- Tackle one room at a time. Decluttering can take longer than you anticipated, which can make you feel stressed and overwhelmed. This can leave you with a job half done or never started in the first place. To avoid feeling this way, start by decluttering only one room. After you're finished, you can focus on other rooms in your home.
- Be focused. One of the best ways to ensure you're concentrated and focused is to set a timer. Even working for 30 minutes to an hour can be very helpful, as long as they're uninterrupted. Setting a timer will help you avoid distractions and be more productive.
Decluttering mistakes you should avoid
When decluttering and organizing your home, it's easy to get carried away and make mistakes. However, by knowing the most common mistakes people make, you'll be able to avoid them and ensure you have a stress-free process.
One of the most common mistakes people make when decluttering is that they buy bins and containers before they start decluttering. In most cases, people are left with piles of packing supplies, adding to their clutter. To avoid this, make sure to declutter before you try to organize anything in your home.
Also, avoid going halfway with any task but ensure you complete one task at a time. For instance, if you have sorted items to donate or sell, don't wait for ages to do what you intended. Otherwise, you'll still be keeping clutter in your home, and your efforts will be pointless.
Lastly, many people think that decluttering is a 'one-and-done' situation. In real life, it's all but. Decluttering is simply a first step towards making your home organized and creating a system to maintain it that way. Finding a storage unit that fits all your needs will help a lot in achieving this.
How can self storage help you declutter?
Once you're done sorting your belongings, it will be clear what items you should keep and which ones must go. However, you'll be left with another pile that contains things you might not use very often but definitely need.
If you leave them in your home, you'll defeat the purpose of decluttering, so the best way to go is to put them in self storage. By doing this, you'll create extra space in your home while still keeping your precious items in your possession.
Things to keep in your self storage unit
Self storage can help you declutter and organize your home in a big way. There are plenty of items you can safely keep in a storage unit and ensure your home is neat and clutter-free. Here are just some categories of things you can store in self storage:
- Seasonal items such as sporting gear, patio furniture, camping equipment, winter clothes, holiday decorations, and similar are a great choice to move to self storage. As you'll be using these items only during specific parts of the year, there is no need for you to keep them at home.
- Gardening tools and outdoor furniture. Self storage can be especially useful if you live somewhere where winters tend to be harsh. As you want your outdoor furniture to be in great shape for next spring and summer, there is no better place to keep it than in a storage unit.
- Baby toys, accessories, and clothes. If you plan on expanding your family, you will want to keep baby items that belonged to your older child. Baby items can be quite expensive, so this is a great way to save money.
- Furniture. If you want to switch things around your home by rearranging the furniture, a storage unit is a great place to keep the extra pieces. This will give you the flexibility to set up your interior in the way you like the most.
No matter what type of storage you decide to go for, you have to ensure you prepare your belongings. You want your self storage unit to be as organized as your home and always know where to find any item you need. Therefore, make sure to pack your items according to the category, and don't forget to label the boxes and containers.
The bottom line
As you can see, self storage can help you declutter and organize your home. However, it's imperative to try and keep your home that way. Make an effort to turn decluttering into a habit, and not only will your home always look good, but you will feel less stressed and more productive.